The Humsafar Trust has emerged as one of India's strongest voices in support of health and human rights for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) communities. Here is how you can participate in their endeavours.
- Send a mail to
if you would like to offer a job to hijras and transgenders in the NGO's network.
- Volunteer to teach new activities or vocational skills such as conversational English, computers or financial literacy to LGBTs.
Donate in kind (books, computers, home appliances, etc.) to offices and drop-in centres in Mumbai.
- Seek help from the NGO's helpline services:
- For LBT individuals: +91 9930095856 (Monday-Saturday, 4 p.m.- 8 p.m.)
- For LGBT individuals: +91 22-26673800 (Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.- 8 p.m.)
- Access free support group meetings, family and legal counselling for LGBTs after prior appointment.
- Access free counselling on issues related to gender, sexuality and relationships after prior appointment.
- Get free HIV and venereal disease testing, nutrition counselling and referral to Anti-Retroviral Therapy services for transgenders and those with HIV/AIDS.
- Report gender and sexuality-based discrimination by emailing or calling the NGO.
- Set up LGBT support and anti-bullying networks in your community and inform the NGO once you do so or hire them as a consultant to set these up.
- Organize LGBT sensitization talks in schools, colleges, offices and residential complexes and inform the NGO once you do so or invite them to speak at such talks.
- Access the NGO library that has 100+ books, manuals and films related to sexuality or view some of them here.
- Participate in a variety of free and paid events organized by the NGO—film festivals, performances, discussions, solidarity events, etc.
The Humsafar Trust has been working in the area of health and human rights for sexual minorities since 1994. It provides counselling, advocacy and healthcare to LGBT communities and has helped reduce violence, discrimination and stigma against them. The organization is convener-member of the Integrated Network for Sexual Minorities, a national-level network that has 192 community-based organizations, representing lesbian, gay, kothi, men who have sex with men (MSM), bisexual and transgender communities as members.
The Humsafar Trust has nurtured various community-based organizations, such as 'Gaurav' for male sex workers, 'Kinnar Kasturi' and 'Kinnar Asmita' for transgenders and hijras, 'Sanjeevani' for MSM and transgenders with HIV, and 'Umang' and 'Yaariyan' for LBT and LGBT persons respectively. Through its six primary projects on prevention, care, support and treatment, the organization reaches out to over 9,000 MSMs and transgenders in Mumbai.